Chicken Soup isn’t just for cold winter nights or when you have a sore throat. It’s a staple of good cooking and can be enjoyed any time, as it’s so easy to make and universally satisfying. This EXTRA easy recipe demystifies a great chicken soup and will convert you from ever buying cheap, flavorless broth again. Give it a shot, and you will taste the difference. Just remember to season with salt and taste as you go to create the perfect balance!
overall cook time: 3 hr + 40 min
inactive cook time: 3 hr
servings: 4 to 6
- One 3-4 Pound Pasture-Raised Whole Chicken
- 1 Head Garlic
- 2 Yellow Onions
- 1 Pound Carrots
- 1/2 Pound Celery
- 1/2 Pound Egg Noodles
- Parsley, for garnish
- Kosher or Sea Salt
Chef Tip! You can eat this soup right away, store for a couple days, or freeze it. If planning on freezing the soup, we recommend holding off on adding the noodles (as they don’t hold up well when defrosted). While re- heating the soup, boil the pasta separately and add directly to the rewarmed soup.
Prepare the Ingredients
• Peel and medium dice the onions.
• Peel and roughly chop the garlic.
• Peel and cut the carrots into 1⁄2-inch rounds.
• Large dice the celery.
Cook the Chicken
• In a large pot, combine the chicken and chopped onion, carrot, celery, and garlic.
• Add enough water to fill the pot and completely cover the chicken. Heat on high until boiling.
• Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer– uncovered–until the chicken is fully cooked and the meat easily falls off the bone when pierced with a fork or tongs, about 2 hours.
• If necessary, continue to add water to the pot to keep the chicken covered.
• Remove from heat
Strain & Discard the Bones
• Very carefully strain the chicken and vegetable mixture through a colander and into another pot.
• Let the cooked chicken and mirepoix cool for about an hour, or until cool enough to touch; then, carefully transfer the chicken and bones to a cutting board.
• Remove any chicken from the bones; discard the bones.
• Roughly chop or shred the cooked chicken, if desired.
Finish the Soup
• Add the cooked chicken and mirepoix and egg noodles to the pot of broth.
• Return to medium heat; cook, stirring occasionally, until the noodles are tender and the soup is completely heated through, about 8 to 10 minutes (or as specified on the noodle package).
• Turn off the heat. Season to taste with salt.
• Divide the soup among bowls and garnish with parsley (roughly chopping or tearing the leaves) just before serving.